Sunday, February 3, 2008

Race #3 2008-Jed Smith Ultra Classic 30k








http://zinsli.com/pictures/08_0202_jed/imagepages/image41.asp
http://zinsli.com/pictures/08_0202_jed/imagepages/image126.asp
http://zinsli.com/pictures/08_0202_jed/imagepages/image81.asp
Well, getting there was easy. Abby drove us to her parents house in Grass Valley, where we'd spend Friday night before heading out @6:30 or so the next morning. We got to Gibson Ranch Park @7:45, where I picked up my packet and got right back in the heated car. It was probably 40-43 degrees, but felt much colder due to the wet and the wind...and to think, Abby and her parents were prepared with chairs and everything. We'd be passing the start/finish area 6 times (including the finish), but the weather was not ideal to sit still. There were, however, a multitude of geese, along with two horses, and a 200+ lb pig that was so ugly it was cute. At one point before the race, one of the horses (last picture-above) was "frolicking" with the pig, who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying it! Needless to say, Hannah liked the animals. Onto the race...
Before the race started, an official let me know that in order for all the distances (30k-50k-50m) to start and finish in the same place, we'd be doing an out and back (2.05 miles) before heading into the first of 5 3.31 mile loops. I'd spotted Nathan Frazier before the race. He'd won this race each of the last 3 years running 2:02-2:05, so I thought of sticking with him over the first loop to get my barings. I was mildly surprised, then, when another runner (Mark Lantz) set the pace right from the gun. As we did our out and back, and eventually the first two loops, I (for the most part) stuck to his behind like white on rice, only occasionally dropping back a few yards or pulling even. He may have been annoyed by my drafting, but he happened to be going the exact pace I wanted to be going, and like I said, it was windy. It seemed many of the other racers knew him as I must have heard his name 50 times while i was behind him. There was one 50ker in particular who seemed quite annoyed that i was shadowing his buddy. Oh well, it's called strategy. He could have ran faster and dropped me or ran slower to make me pass at any point, but chose not to, right?
Right before the finish of loop #2 was the first time in the race i thought i had a chance. I'd struggled mightily to keep up til this point in the race (8.6), but here i started feeling like i was in a groove and would pull even and pass with 10 miles to go. He did return the favor and draft off me for two miles as the wind picked up a little, so i figure we're even (ish). By the end of that 3rd loop, I'd built about a 10 second lead. Half of each loop was paved, and half of each was mud. For whatever reason, I'd had an easier time keeping up on the trail sections, and when I took the lead, I tried to increase it on this stretch as well. The road portion that made up the last 0.9 of each loop was the toughest for me as you were very exposed to the wind and it had one of only two little hills. We had to do a little dodging of other racers, especially on the trail when trying to avoid standing water.
Into loop 4 (almost 12 miles in) I was thinking strategy now and feeling pretty strong. On this trail section I was informed that i had 70-80 meters on Mark, and #3 had fallen several minutes back, so i tried to hold an even pace to the last loop, where I hoped adrenaline would give me a kick. I passed where I calculated to be the half-marathon mark in just under 1:20, or about 6:07 per mile. This was the pace we'd done the first 5 in, so i was very happy to be staying even. When i started the last loop, i was feeling good about holding the lead. I knew I'd be able to go the same speed as the last loop, or a little faster if needed, so unless Mark had a huge kick, I'd be able to hold onto the lead. I was told (in the mud with 2 miles to go), that the lead was 30 seconds, so either I ran the last loop faster than I thought, or Mark was struggling, as I ended up 1:40 ahead in 1:53:55.
He came in 2nd in 1:55:35, and Nathan (the 3 time defending champ) was 3rd in a pr of 1:59:26.
My goal going in had been to run 6-6:20 per mile in preperation to run Napa @6:20 pace. Being that the weather was bad, and the course (8-9 miles of it anyway) was really sloppy, 6:07 per mile was about as good as i could have expected. The aid station at the start finish seemed to have a plethora of coke, with a small supply of water and gatorade?, so i'd taken coke for my first two drinks. That was fine at the TRT 50k running 9-10 minute miles, but not ideal at 6 minutes per, but it worked out ok. No cramps and no fading at the end, which was encouraging as I took no GU and only drank 7-10 oz. total. I really need to work on drinking more for the marathon, but I'll try to work on that in training as opposed to a race. This race gives me 51 minutes to run the remaining 7.6 miles of the marathon to break my goal of 2:45. I plan on starting out 6:15-6:20 and holding it, so this race was motivational, and a great prep for next month. Running well during a 74 mile week (and 1 week after an 86 miler) is a big deal for me, as i've been a little more fatigued than usual. Next up (probably) will be the Alomnd Blossom 8k in Ripon, CA the last Saturday of the month. I'm hoping to coax my legs into running 30-40 seconds faster per mile, but they haven't done that in a while.
Because of the weather, we had to forgo our plans to bring Hannah to the zoo, instead heading straight to the Sacramento Brewing Company for lunch before our 5 ½ trip back to Reno. There were a few other Reno locals there as well…Jenny Capel won the women’s 50k in 3:55:28, and Mary Ohren was the second female in the 30k in 2:19:42. The 50k was won by Jasper Halekas in 3:23:51-an amazing 6:34 per mile! Overall, this was a good experience…would have been great if it was 50-55 degrees with no rain or wind!
Chris

No comments: