Monday, October 20, 2008

Nevada City Run Through The Colors (literally)

a little too sore today, maybe a good idea to get more cushioning than 4.5 oz. shoes offer for huge downhills...
Pre-race and the start...

just before the finish chute...

greeting crew at the finish line...

Hannah stealing Dad's coffee, now she's hooked...
just after the race...

Pioneer Park

Sunday, October 19th was the 1743rd annual Run Through the Colors. Well, not really, but this race is somewhere between twenty & thirty years old. After running the 5k in 2006, and the 10k each of the past two years, it's easy to see why. Not only does the course run through the fall folliage (get it...Run Through the Colors...I think it must be a coincidence), but also straight through downtown Nevada City. By the time we're coming down Broad St., the tourists & shoppers are begining to show up. They, along with some locals, are good about cheering us on, but I imagine some of them are wondering just what the heck we're doing. In addition to the scenic, but very challenging course, the volunteers & orginazation are top notch as well. The fall has always been my favorite season to run. The day would get pretty warm, but anyone from Nevada City knows that Pioneer Park, for some reason, is the coldest spot in town, so the race itself was pretty chilly. I decided to forgo my arm-warmer-thingies & gloves. The arms were a little numb halfway, so I probably should have hung on to them, but the less I wear, the more comfortable I am (usually).
We started the 5k & 10k together at 8:30, took a left out of the park, and had a downhill to warm-up on before the longest & steepest climb of the day. (is that Nevada St??) I'd shared with Peter Lubbers during our warm-up that last year's 10k was the first race of 2007 where I really felt good. I relaxed just enough during the last climb though, that I just missed out on breaking 35:00. I ran a 35:03 that year. I thought I was in better shape this year, even after a month and a half break this summer, so one goal was to beat last year's time. I was curious as to how it would go. I really didn't expect to feel as good as last year, but to be faster. That would prove accurate-I was already struggling halfway up that first big climb, but I was able to really hammer the flats & downhills to make up for pretty weak climbing throughout the whole race. The race was marked every K (1,000 meters), and I was looking to be under 3:30 per to run under 35 minutes. The only time I was behind pace was after a slow 4th kilometer. But the second half would prove a little faster, and I felt more comfortable pushing the pace a little as the finish drew closer. I'd run 17:30 for the first half, and 16:51 for the second half. I've been told this course is 200-300 meters short of a true 10k (6.02-something as opposed to 6.2), but the hills more than make up for it. So, I ended up finishing strong and coming in 42 seconds faster than last year, in 34:21(5:42-43 per mile). 2nd, 3rd, & 4th all came in between 38-40 minutes, but none were grand prix regulars. Pete passed a couple guys up the last hill to come in 5th in 40:01-i'm sure he'll be at least 2 seconds faster next year...I know what that's like! Neal came in shortly after.
Over in the 5k, Larry held off all challengers by winning in 18:50(ish), with Jeff (way faster than last year!) and Cody hot on his heels. Even with the extra weight of his new wedding ring, Steve took 16 seconds off last year's time. Good job guys! Pete and I did a couple extra miles on the course (shoulda taken my camera) before going up the street to Broad Street Bistro for large amounts of coffee (& some food too). Hannah had her share of excitement while Pete & I were jogging. She was bit (in the face!) by a dog. A rescue dog, even...and she wasn't even touching her at the time. She's a tough cookie, though. Still loves dogs, and she had a ton of fun with the scarecrows (and my coffee) at the coffee shop. After 5 straight weeks of racing, I'm a little beat up today. Probably due more to pounding the downhills than the 5 races, but I'll take it easy for a few days either way. Gotta be ready for the 24 mile Blueplanetrun I'm doing with Pete & Turi on Sunday. Me & the fam are staying in Tahoe for the weekend, so it should be lots of fun. 8 down, 2 to go for me in the 2008 Grand Prix. Probably one 5k & one 10k. In two weeks, I'll be flying to Buffalo with Hannah to visit family, so that should be interesting. Check out Turi (Turi's running blog)or Amber's (big pencil blog) for details and pics from the Fall Colors trail half marathon in South Reno, or Pete's (Run Lake Tahoe) for a different perspective of this race. I'll add a link to Steve's results later in the week.

5 comments:

Turi said...

Lot of traffic at the start, eh? Good job there, Chris.

slowrunner77 said...

yeah. not only the usual suspects, although there were a lot of them too. there were a few up front at the start that i did not expect. at one point, only a minute ir so in, the kid who'd end up 3rd in the 5k in about 19 1/2 minutes was 30 yards ahead of me and everyone else. he'd b e even faster if he learned to hold up even a little. He pretty much ran 5:00 pace for <2 minutes, and 6:20-30 the rest of the way...

SnowLeopard said...

[Whistling through my teeth] Dude! You're so stinkin' fast! And you took 42 seconds off your time from last year. Another new course record? I bet you were close! Congrats on another win under your belt~ :)

slowrunner77 said...

from what Abby was told last year, i'd need to be another 40-50 seconds faster for this course record. pretty unlikely, unless i find the perfect beer for fuel. Hmmmmm...

Peter Lubbers said...

Way to go, Chris. Next year, the course record! (Fortunately, I just have to get 2 seconds faster myself)
I am glad Hannah is OK. That was quite a scare. Can't believe that was a rescue dog.
6 miles down, 24 to go in the Blue Planet Run--See you (and Turi) on Sunday!