Thursday, November 20, 2008

1st hard run since October

well...the pain in my a@# has been kept in check over the last few days, probably now a 3 on a scale of 1-10 in stead of an 8 or 9...the tightness in the peraformis, hip flexor, and s.i. joint is still quite high (8ish), but after more than 3 weeks of, I've run about 19 miles over the last three days, and did a treadmill time trial today, to see if there's any chance of actually running WELL next week. Since a treadmill is a little easier, I'd add about 3 seconds per mile to today's run if it were on a fastish road course, but I was relatively happy that after 3 weeks of beer, chicken wings, weights, and cross training, that running in the 5-minute range didn't feel totally foreign. I was able to run a 21:33 4 miler/5:23+ per mile (after a 2 mile warm-up), with mile splits of 5:25, 5:24, 5:23, and 5:21 (5k split of 16:44). The warm-up and cooldown were shorter than usual, and I was DEAD afterwards (and will be sore tomorrow), but being that this was my first test, I was happy that I've only lost about 8 seconds per mile over a 4 mile run. AND, I got to break in a new pair of Katana Rac3rs (also Nike, about an ounce heavier than the Mayfly). I'm hoping to get one or two more challenging runs in before next Tuesday, and one more treatment on the hip, so i can get some of those 8 seconds back...that's 25 seconds over 5k & 50 over a 10k afterall, and I don't think they'll give me a head start.

4 comments:

Turi said...

No head start? Cheap. Good luck out there anyway...

Peter Lubbers said...

With splits like that, we need to start you out at the back of the pack, instead!

SnowLeopard said...

I'm glad that your pain is less~ Good luck in your race! :)

slowrunner77 said...

update from 11/24...took 19 seconds off my 5k (down to 16:25 on the treadmill) since last week, but my hip & glute is hurting quite a bit now...need to find a solution...right now i'm just trying to get through the next two races, but that's not a permanent answer...