Monday, February 23, 2009

Fresh Tracks 5k 2009





There's not a whole lot to add to Turi & Dave's blog about this cool little race @Camp Richardson (finish of the Tahoe Marathon events) butI'll try. We met in south Reno at 7:45 a.m. without our fourth comrade, the currently gimpy Amber Sady...drove through Carson and took Hwy 50 over Spooner and 89 down the east side of the Lake. We made good time and got there a bit early, so after we signed up, we just milled around for a bit before Turi & I did a whopping 9 minute warm-up...1st race I've ever done without stretching a thing, but I wasn't planning on starting too fast. Pre-race things to note were that none of the three of us had ever raced on snowshoes before. I hadn't been on a pair for two winters because of hip issues, and hadn't run in a pair for much longer. I'd found a smokin' deal at Sierra Trading Post, though, and ended up upgrading my Sam's Club cloggers for a good pair of Redfeathers. Dave & Turi both rented runners from Chuck @Eclipse, so we were all good to go, equipment-wise.
I couldn't help but notice that as we approached the start area, I was the only one wearing shorts, as I'd ditched the pants a few minutes prior. I'm sure my chicken legs were good for a few looks. Probably would have worn my running tights if they didn't have huge holes in them from sliding during softball. Oh well...besides a little light rain it was a beautiful morning, and I had no doubt my heart rate would be high enough to keep the ol' legs warm for a half hour. After everyone figured out which way we were starting (the course differed from last year's) we were off.
The three of us had made a bet - who could come the closest to guessing their finish time. We had looked at last year's results and were largely basing our guesses of that. We didn't know, yet, that last year's course was a little harder, so we all guessed quite a bit high. Everyone started relaxed, and the first half-mile loop, before a larger 2.6 "keyhole", was a peice of cake. With little change in course, though, I noticed a little ragged breathing about 6 minutes in, and some fatigue about 9 minutes in. There were a couple serious runners in the front last year who ran 24:19 and 27:00 on the tougher course, but they were not around this time. After taking my time out of the gate, I assumed the lead before the first loop ended and looked to steadily build on it in case I really hit the wall 2 miles in. The trail was just awesome. Picturesque and quite peaceful. The rythm of the snowshoes crunching the frozen ground was really the only sound you heard, besides the cowbell towards the finish. I need...more...cowbell! I miscalculated where I was on the course, thinking that I had 6 minutes left when I only had about three, so there was no kick, or oxygen-debt sprint to the finish for me...just me asking to make sure I didn't have to run the half mile loop again, before coasting across the line.
I watched a couple dozen finishers, including Turi and Dave, before bundling up and returning for food. There are a lot of cool people that either helped put on this race, or were running in it, including TRT race director Dave Cotter, who was grilling us up some brats and sausage. Thanks Dave! There were 36 people in the race (the smallest I've done off the track), and all of TLD finished in the top 10!
PLACE NAME AGE GENDER TIME
1 Chris Badolato 31 M 24.13
2 Cassidy Cichowicz 14 F 29.17
3 Doug Cichowicz 51 M 29.17
4 Turi Becker 36 M 30.14
5 Kim Field 35 F 30.28
6 Luke Castell 48 M 32.42
7 Daniel Fuller 49 M 33.07
8 Jim Meskimen 65 M 34.44
9 Kim Kennedy 48 F 36.42
10 Dave Eveland 40 M 37.28
Dave easily won the bet, but none of us were close...Turi was furthest off. He'd guessed 39:00 and ran 30:14, for an 8:46 difference. I'd guessed 30:59 and ran 24:13, for a 6:46 difference. Dave guessed 41:17 and ran 37:28, for a 3:49 difference.
As far as snowshoe vs. road, we all ran Verdi last week, and even though that course had a big hill, it was about 1200 feet lower, so...let's see how much the terrain slows you down.
I ran 18:29 and 24:13, or about 31% slower
Turi ran about 23:30 (Turi & Dave said their "official" times were off) and 30:14, + about 29%
Dave ran about 29:00 and 37:28, + just over 29%
We'd guessed we'd run 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 x our Verdi times, so were all pleasantly surprised. I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed being able to run in the snow, especially up in the mountains, so there is probably more of this type of thing in my future. I enjoyed the race itself quite a bit...it would have been nice to have a T-shirt for this year's race and not old givaways from other events, especially being that this was the first snowshoe race for all of us, but that's nitpicking. It was a fun event, AND...an extremely well marked course, which is very important for those who know me! I think this will be the last race ever where I am the youngest male. Seriously...check the website...tahoemountainmilers.org. Go figure.
In all fairness, Cassidy did finish second, but was really close to a minute in front of her Dad (not side by side as the official results have them) so there was NOT that big of a gap between 1 & 2. I think she was in the low-mid 28:00 range.
Good jod Team Library Dork for "stepping out of your comfort zones", not falling - or repeatedly kicking your anklebone with your snowshoes, like I though we all would. We done good. Til next time...
ps-Dave, who was the cougar that was wantin' you to stay up there???

5 comments:

Turi said...

Thanks for putting in the bet/results - I didn't know if you had kept those stats or not. Great, interesting event!

Peter Lubbers said...

Great result for your first snowshoe race! What's next?

SnowLeopard said...

You guys rock! More awards for the team. :) I'm totally bummed I missed this race- it would have been a first for me too, and a unique experience since I've never even BEEN on snowshoes before! Being the gimp totally sucks.

slowrunner77 said...

i'm pretty sure the next thing'll be the stairclimb in 'frisco...not running for now. If some other unique event presents itself, i'll let you guys know.

Anonymous said...

my hubby rocks!