Sunday, April 19, 2009

eventful moring at the Daffodil Run

I did not run today, although after feeling good, and being able to run stairs theday after a 17:33 5k on Friday, the thought crossed my mind...but I'd already agreed long ago to volunteer by giving splits at the mile mark, and I ran the aforementioned 5k 48 hours before race time and a 2:27.8 stair-climb yesterday. I'm starting to get dialed in with pace on the stairs, but I was surprised and a little disappointed to see 2:27 on my watch a couple days after a 2:23. I was expecting a new best, and still hope to get down to 2:15 in the next few weeks. This afternoon, after the drive back from Grass Valley, I ran in the 75 degree heat (felt great) and posted a 2:22.7. Very steady pace all the way up - now I just have to figure out where/how to cut 7 more seconds. I figure a 2:22 is good for a 3:15-20 or so on the Legacy.
Abby & Dave both ran the 5k @Dafodil and both ran pretty even splits. That's impressive in itself, as most people do not pace well. Dave came in unofficially in 27:07 and Abby, despite some cramping issues after mile 1, reached her goal of sub-30 by running 29:52. As I was giving splits, no pics. I know, I suck...blah blah blah. Even though a few old friends were racing elsewhere, including 2007 10k Champ Peter, Robert, and Steve, there were many familiar faces, and I very much enjoyed seeing you all. I'm even hoping I can con...I mean convince, Catherine into joining our stairclimb team next month! There was quite a race forming between Troy and Neel in the 10k, and Larry and a newcomer in the 5k. Larry would stick on him til the last homestretch before falling back just a bit. Troy led most of the 2nd half - all the way to the last hill pretty much - but hit the wall hard. Neel passed with 200-300 meters to go. Troy had some hydration/heat stroke but was determined to finish. I accompanied him to the line...after the legs became wobbly, he needed a hand to stay balanced but managed to keep his forward motion going...took a spill 30 meters before the end, and got up and fiished. Amazingly, he still finished 3rd overall! For his troubles, he got an ambulance ride, but those buzzkills wouldn't even turn on the sirens for him. I'd sue 'em Troy...should of had sirens, man!! By the afternoon, he was recovering quite nicely.
After a breakfast in Penn Valley and a quick visit to Indian Springs winery (and the hospital) Abby, Hannah, & I headed back to Reno, with a quick stop at Boca for the dogs. I needed to do something today, inspired as I was from all the racing, so I did the road run/stair-climb. My next race will probably be the RunAMuck relay with Turi on 5/9, although there are a couple possibilities the week or so before. There are a couple on 4/26, but we are doing a rather large stout tasting on the night of the 25th, so that probably ain't happening...

3 comments:

Peter Lubbers said...

Yeah, quite something, Troy's finish. I talked to him and he sounded pretty good. I'll pick him up from the hospital tomorrow.

Turi said...

Awesome, Abby - feels good to hit a goal, huh?

SnowLeopard said...

Yay Abby! We need to run together! And Chris, talk to Christine at SO- I almost had her roped into our stair climb team too... :)