Monday, May 4, 2009

2009 5k "PR"

This morning, despite being wide awake with Hannah in bed from 2-4:00 a.m., I was able to shave another 19 seconds off my last 5k time trial. This one, too, was negative splits, which I'll try to maintain as long as I'm doing them on the tread. 5:30+, <5:30, 5:25, 0:30 (with the last quarter mile at 5:00 pace). 8 miles total with a warm-up and cool-down (50:37 total). If not for my right hip, I'd feel great. Although I was pushing it, especially from mile 2 to the end, I was able to do a complete leg workout afterwards, with only two sets of hips and one of three sets of leg press needing to be lighter than usual. Overall a good day, with my first sub 17 in a while, some stretching, 21 sets of leg weights, and 4 sets of core. Tomorrow is just a maintenance day...stairs on Wednesday, maybe an interval workout Thursday, easy day on Friday, and the relay on Saturday!
Next time I'm shooting for 16:49...5:27, 5:27, 5:25, :30...or less :)
I was also able to get on the Legacy stairwell on Saturday for a total of 110 flights of running, and another 18 walking. To my detrement, as I'm trained to go up, up, up with no breaks, there is one flight of stairs per floor (instead of 2), but a short hallway between each flight, which allows for a touch of recovery between climbs. I'd prefer that these weren't there, but whatcha gonna do...

3 comments:

Turi said...

There's gotta be a word other than "fast" for what you are. Even injured. Dang.

SnowLeopard said...

Slight recovery between flights? That's a bad thing? :) MAN I wish I could come on Saturday to cheer you and Turi on. I hope Abby or Mich or SOMEONE gets some good pictures of the two of ya~

slowrunner77 said...

overzealous may be a good word...pulled my left upper calf at some point during/after my "easy" run yesterday...hoping to recover quickly. No intervals tomorrow, obviously :(