Friday, May 1, 2009

2009 vs. 2008

As I finally passed the 400 mile mark this year (after 16 & 5/7 weeks - about 24 miles a week, although I've been over 30 a week for the past month), I decided to make a rough comparison in workout volume to last year. I've been working out pretty much daily, but due to injuries, etc, have been relying much more heavily (no pun intended) on cross-training...especially weight lifting. While last year at this time I was racing every other week, coming off a marathon in March and gearing up for a 50k in July, this year I've only run 2 5Ks (1 road, 1 snowshoe) and an 8 minute stairclimb over the first 4 months of the year. May will be a little more active, with races on 2 consecutive weekends, although my time spent racing will be a total of less than 18 minutes! I'm about 158-159 lbs., compared to 149 at this time last year, mainly due to being at 1200+ miles last year, and 401 this year, and about 900-1000 sets of weights last Jan-April, compared to 1778 so far this year...and then there's the beer! I've also been a bit of a wuss - already falling 2 weeks behind with my much needed swim training. I just can't motivate myself to go to the pool and do lap after lap the last two Fridays as planned...and it's still a bit cold, especially at 6 ot 7 a.m. to hit the open water. Still planning on Alcatraz, but I really gotta get movin on that front! Only 10 weeks away...aaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!

5 comments:

Turi said...

Yeah, cold morning water - sounds fun...

slowrunner77 said...

it would wake me up a bit before work.

Peter Lubbers said...

Which two races are you talking about again?
Do you think you'll you be running the Community Run at the end of May?

SnowLeopard said...

Hey! I swam for the first time at the pool in Carson today! What an awesome facility. Good luck in your swim training! :)

slowrunner77 said...

the May races are the 5/9 Run-a-Muck 2 x 2.5 mile relay with Turi...in drag, of course, and the Climb the Legacy on 5/17. I don't plan on racing RFTC, but I think Abby is, and if for some reason I feel good, I may change my mind last minute, especially if I'm already planning on being there as a cheerleader. I am planning on running a 3k on 6/7 though, so i don't want to go from racing once every few weeks to every week - not a good idea. My hip is twitching as I type this!