Saturday, August 29, 2009

Scheel's Spark-A-Delic 5k*

start, mile 2.7, and conferring with Coach Hannah...
This was a very last minute decision. Yesterday morning I didn't know this race was happening, but after pushing back my planned 5k solo time trial from yesterday to today due to soreness, one of my friends at the gym asked if i was doing the 5k in Sparks. So...after I was able to change my schedule and come in an hour or so late to work today, I went to Scheel's and signed up. I hadn't carb-loaded or anything, so I still had a beer last night (a good local one even-Buckbean Artown, their new pilsner) with dinner, and got up this morning wondering what was in store. I've been doing little speedwork but I thought 5:40 pace should be an "easy" goal. That's my half marathon pace of old, and more than 30 seconds per mile off the old 5k pace. It would put me around 17:34 for a 5k, and I was hoping, without having seen last year's times, that that would give me a shot at top 3 or so.
I saw Scott Young, a local pro triathlete and former Journal Jog champ, which ruined my already miniscule chances of pacing the field. After a 18 minute warm-up, we were off. We started in front of Scheels and did a big loop in the parking lot before starting a counter clockwise lap around the marina. The leader seperated himself right away, with Scott and Miguel Tibaduiza setting the pace for the chase group. I started in the back of the chase and slowly worked my way up to 4th briefly, but knew I'd started a little too fast. The hammies and hip were already a little tight as we crossed the mile in 5:26, probably 10 seconds faster than i should've gone. I backed off the gas a little in mile 2 to insure I'd make it to the end, and dropped from 4th to 7th, running 5:46 for a 11:12 split. I was still near enough to 2 runners in front of me to make a race out of it, although I didn't feel like I had another gear, but I/we sped up just enough to make mile 3 a touch faster than 2 (for me anyway). This is where the shortness of the course came in to play (hence the * on the 5k). I'd passed the 1st guy that had passed me after mile 1, and started to put a gap while closing the gap between myself and 5th, which happened to be the runaway female winner. I hit mile 3 (which was probably 2.91 or so) in 16:24 for a 5:12 split, which was probably more like a 5:40. I had a little kick left after that and quickly closed the remaining 2-3 second gap between myself and 5th over the last .11, but I didn't really see the need to try and elbow my way past right before the chute, so i settled in behind, and finished in 16:57 (5:37-38 per mile) for 6th overall, and luckily, 1st in the male 30-39 AG. About a minute slower than I was in May, but I'll take it as long as it's a starting point and not a peak!
The winner ran a blazing 15:42 and Scott was 2nd in 16:07, with Miguel in 3rd, with the rest of the field being quite a bit closer together than the top 2. The ol' legs are still a bit tight, but otherwise, it was a good morning. I got in 7.5 miles total and so far feel no worse for the wear (hopefully that'll hold), so I'll try and build on this over the next couple weeks and see what happens. Going to the track with some of Team Library Dork tomorrow :) Hannah & Abby were kind enough to come watch, and I'm hoping there was a cool Scheel's prize for the AG win (I had a buddy get it for me as I had to leave for work as the awrads were starting). Tonight...Homemade Jam at Great Basin Brewery...yay!!

3 comments:

Peter Lubbers said...

Great result for a last-minute decison! Take care

wife said...

oh, i have pic's. don't i always??? :) good job today.

SnowLeopard said...

I missed this race! Last year I set my 5k PR on this course (yes, I'm sure that it being a short 5k didn't hurt my time either), thanks to my pacer, Turi. :) Nice run Chris!