Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Miner's Ravine 10k


...about 4-5 minutes in (while it was still flat)
...right after the last uphill

Another week, another 10k. I'm trying to race myself back into shape, and I think it's working...sloooooowly. This course was a touch easier than the Friendship Run last week, but still hilly. Even had an uphill finish! I'd only decided to do this race a week or so before after getting an email from Capitol Road Race Management (CCRM). They put on tons of quality races in the greater Sacramento area, so I figured, why not. On top of the race, last week was actually my highest mileage week (51.6) of the year (even though the overall quality was a tad better in May). I've only averaged about 23-24 a week for the year as a whole, so it was a good one.
This race had the distinction of starting the 10k & 5k at different times, which was great. No chasing after 20-year-old 5k runners who are of no consequence. Abby & Hannah joined me for this one, but Hannah missed the start. There were 2 bounce houses and a child care area that she enjoyed for quite some time before and after the races. What an awesome idea!
Anyway, back to the action. We started in the Roseville auto mall, eventually dropped down in Miner's Ravine, and finished near the top of the ravine, in Sculpture Park (where the giant rose is off I-80). I don't have all my splits, but I ran from the front, having a motorcycle pacer for the first 2+ miles, as well as the last 1.2. I hit the 2 mile in 11:20 and would slow for the next three, thinking this was going to be a repeat of the late race struggles the week before, but I had a good finish, and took 92 seconds off my Friendship time, winning the race by 2:13 in 36:26 (5:53). The 5k was won by a 19 year old in 17:57 by just over a minute. There were 138 in the 10k and 152 in the 5k. They had snacks after the race, while waiting for awards, and as usual for them, had no timing issues of any kind - something runners should never take for granted. There was a 24 Hour Fitness next door, so I even got to shower before coming home. My goals for this one were "A" sub-36, "B" sub-37, so I was closer to the A goal than last week.
Once again, as is becoming tradition, we headed to a brewery for lunch. This time in Auburn, after picking up some hilarious pictures from our white water rafting trip 2 weeks ago...I'll post some of those soon as well.
Tonight, Dave, Ben & I are off to New York and Deleware, for baseball, beer, & running (4k). Lots to share next week I'm sure...

1 comment:

SnowLeopard said...

Awesome Chris! I'm glad you've been able to get your mileage back up again, and have another win under your belt. :) Have fun in NY~ and when you get back... Kokanee Run!