Wednesday, December 16, 2009

4 seconds off a PR

Thre plan this morning was to break or hit 21:00 for 4 miles. After a long warm-up of 3.26 miles and 5 x 1:00 at race pace, I stretched a little and ramped the treadmill back up to 11.5 mph (5:13.0) pace. I held that easily for about a mile and half, started to feel it between 1.5-2.5, and struggled to not pass out on the treadmill over the last mile...not that that wouldn't have been immensely entertaining for the others in the gym. I've already shot off the back of the treadmill once, and resisted the urge to do so again. I managed to drop to 5:00 pace for the last 0.12 and finished only 4 seconds off my 9 year old pr of 20:48, running just a hair under 20:52. I continued a long cool-down, with 3 x 1:00 hard to keep my miles up for the week (11 for the day), and just barely managed to get a slightly lighter than usual weight workout and some stretching in. If I can get through work today without falling asleep, I'll consider it a success.

5 comments:

wife said...

good job husband!!!!

Peter Lubbers said...

Dude! amazing

Gretchen said...

Wow, how can you possibly run that fast on a treadmill without falling off?? I bet the people in the gym are staring at you anyway, because people don't usually run that fast on treadmills in gyms. Anyway, kick ass! That's pretty awesome.
So I saw a potential TRT 50K on your schedule?? I'm going to put some major pressure on you to do it! Seriously, Peter Fain needs some competition. He's won it handily for at least 4 years in a row I think. Come run it!

slowrunner77 said...

i'd love to...i was in shape to give him a run for his money in 2008, and was all signed up, then didn't make it to the starting line. my only caution is that things are going fairly well on the injury front, so i'm not sure if i want to tempt fate by upping the miles enough to compete in a 4-5 hour run. even DRASTICALLY undertrained in 2007, and hitting the wall with 14 miles still to go, it was my favorite race of the year.

Gretchen said...

Well, just keep doing what you're doing and take care of yourself so you can KEEP avoiding injury. Then when spring rolls around, I'll check in with you again...
It's definitely a fun race on a beautiful course!