Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Folsom Winter Trail Run Series #5

this is Abby's pic of the finish
the flat before the storm...

i don't know what he's looking at either...

on the backside of the hill

i don't know these guys, but this pic shows how tough it was at the turn!




We returned to the same course we ran for the very first race in the series this past Sunday. Dave & I were both hoping to improve our times from October, but as we drove into town and cloud cover it became obvious there had been rain & that the course would not be optimal for cutting time. I'd guess that i'm 30-45 seconds faster over this distance than I was at the start, so I was looking to take at least 30 seconds off my 17:54, minus however many seconds the mud would slow us down. I warmed up on the short course and found that aggressiveness on the climbs and descents would be interesting. For the first time in the series, I was questioning whether or not my Lunaracers could handle the terrain. Did I mention these were my newly laundered Lunaracers, and that you really should dry them on low heat to prevent the Lunar foam from turning to marshmallow foam??? Well, a lesson learned I suppose. They were actually quite comfy, but easily the softest, squishiest shoe I've ever run in...and they managed to keep me on my feet the whole race!
My main competitors in the series were running the intermediate & long course today, so I was not expecting a push. I'd run most of the first one alone as well, so I hoped that I'd be mentally tough enough to push myself while running solo. The end result of that was a resounding...eh. The kick I easily managed after the last muddy downhill told me I could & should of run faster, but I didn't feel up to it & didn't take advantage on the flats when I had the chance, so...
This course is pretty fun. A short stretch of road/gravel, before cutting across a field, taking a right and going up and over the "warm-up" hill. After that another right, then the main event, which I think Dave measured at race #1 as a 290 footer. Some flatish meandering trail with nice views before a technical descent, a hairpin turn, and the start of the last climb (really a double climb with a short break in the middle) back up to the top...flat...then down again, before 0.1 fast to the finish on the grass.
I came across in 17:42, which with I was neither super pleased or upset. Like I said...eh. It was a 12 second improvement with harder conditions, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for more. I laced up my trail shoes and ran backwards on course for a cooldown and to see how things were panning out. It seemed Dave was further along than when I'd seen him on the cooldown last time. I'm just imagining things, right? Or am I? Dun, dun, duuuuun.
Dave somehow managed, in muddy conditions (compared to near perfect conditions last time) to take 99 seconds of his time, improving from 31:00 to 29:21 and moving into the top twenty at 19th overall! 99 freakin SECONDS over 3.07 miles! Holy crap!
Rubios sat this one out, but instead we had a nice, hot, pancake breakfast that Hannah enjoyed thoroughly. It's little touches like that that make a race or a series stand out, & Diane & others at Breakout Racing are really nailing it. It's very obvious they really enjoy what they're doing - not to mention that Brian takes better pictures 9 times out of 10 than the guys at Facchino. As has become somewhat of a tradition, we went for brunch & suds, this time at Hoppy Brewing Co. in Sacramento before heading back over the hill. What a great deal...for $47, Hannah, Abby, Dave & myself all ate (well) & took home 3 complimentary bottles of Hoppy Brew. Gotta love that.
As far as the series goes, I now have a 34.64 point lead in the overall men's standings, with 600/600 points. Dave is sitting in 13th (male I hope) with 381.19 points. It's a bit hard to really know how things will turn out, as you only keep your best 6 races for the final score (for example, 2nd place wouldn't be seconds if you dropped everyones worst two scores right now) but I'm planning on being done with the short courses so I can put a little wiggle room between myself and the competition, and hopefully help Dave out in the process. Here's a link for race & series results so far, and as always, thanks to Brian at breakoutracing.com for the photos...and Abby too. (i'll get em posted soon...it's not letting me save a draft so i'm posting pre-picture :)
http://ultrasignup.com/results_event.aspx?did=6881
http://ultrasignup.com/events/series_results.aspx?series=12&year=2009

5 comments:

Mike L said...

Nice running out there! I can gauge my performance by where you pass me on your ooldown. If you're going to be running the intermediate though I'm moving to short or long. ;)

slowrunner77 said...

hey Mike...you should join us for food and beer after the next one! as long as i can convince myself i won't get lost, I'll sign up for the long course at the next one.

Mike L said...

I am always down for beer and food. If I have the time I'd like to come along, will introduce myself after the next race.

slowrunner77 said...

they changed the course for the next race, so i'm actually gonna sign up for the 7.5 since I know I won't go the wrong way on that one. Maybe longer next time out. I look forward to meeting you...we went to Hoppy Brewing last time...probably Auburn Alehouse (right off 80) this time around. There are a couple places in downtown Sac too, but a little harder to get too.

SnowLeopard said...

What an awesome lookin' trail! Looking forward to some more races with TLD this year~ :)