Friday, April 16, 2010

Hello, stairwell, my old friend...

Well, the 2nd annual Climb the Legacy is coming up in 10 days. We've got chip timing this year, and the race is a couple weeks earlier, so the firefighters won't have to get all geared up in 90 degree heat (45 is more likely).
At this time last year, I was just getting into racing shape, after a layoff, but had done quite a bit of stair-specific training, including the waaaaaay bigger (taller) than the Silver Legacy Climb California San Fran. It took getting my arse kicked on that one to kick my training into high gear, and from that point through the first half of June, I got in a ton of climbing, and my other race times started dropping as well.
Fast forward 11 months or so. My running fitness (and therefore shorter race times) has been better than it was in April/May of last year since late last fall. While I was just getting under 17:00 last April, I've run 16:10 and the road and am hoping to go lower. What I haven't been doing as much year, though, is climbing stairs - and since my "normal" races & training has been going fairly well, I'm not really willing to do so. BUT...I have gone up the practice run 3 times in the last couple weeks, hoping my better overall fitness would compensate for my lack of specific training. At first I wasn't so sure. I (barely) managed a 2:28, as opposed to a 2:13 last year. In addition to the fact that i was sore for several days after, which I'd hoped to avoid by only going up 1 1/2 times as opposed to 2, 15 seconds is A LOT when you're only going for a couple minutes! Well, the day after Zoo Zoom, I was back at it. Not expecting much, although my legs were ok for the day after a 10k. 2:17! Reheheally??? Well that's a nice surprise. Maybe there's hope after all. After a Wednesday interval workout, I ran just under 8 1/2 miles at an easy-moderate pace, mostly trail, & met Dave at the well, again not expecting much. I think the longbutnottoofast runs beforehand actually insure I'm properly warmed-up, but I would be be affected by the prior day's hard run, so again, not expecting much. Familiar burn just after half way...2:14! Hmmm. Only one second off my '09 best after a hard day. Gotta be encouraged about that. I'm not recovering well at all, but I've got two more days til my next 5k. I'll go back Monday, & possibly one more Thursday, depending on how the week unfolds. I'd really love to pop one off, like say, a 2:09 - to get my head where I'd like it to be. Days as rough as today have you questioning all kinds of things...

2 comments:

wife said...

Nice job! Maybe it's the lack of hair on your head:)

SnowLeopard said...

Lack of hair Abby? Chris, did you shave your head again? I know you'll do wonders next weekend, and smoke those firefighters outta there! :)