Monday, March 28, 2011

Nutrition Fuels Fitness 5k/10k Elk Grove

As you may or may not know, Dave and I had planned on going to Nevada City for a 5k, which after running there many times would have been my first NC run since October of 2009. Mother nature had other ideas, such as genreally flooding the trail sections of said 5k, so said 5k was cancelled, then rescheduled for next week. Luckily, since I'd scouted the race calendar before settling on Nevada City, there was a back-up plan. Capital Road Race Management, who always put on a good race, was hosting a flat and fast 5k/10k just south of Sacramento, so outside of a little extra driving Saturday night, this plan was actually the easier of the two, and I even got in a couple extra quality miles. I decided to run the 10k (Dave did the 5) since theres a few 5ks coming up and this breaks them up nicely. Plus I think I'm in slightly better shape for a 10k (speed endurance vs. speed). Abby and the kids were already nearing Grass Valley with her Dad when the race there was postponed, so Dave and I ended up in a Fairfield Inn five miles north of the race. So convenient! We got there around an hour before the start, signed up, warmed up, etc...
Looks like the weather will cooperate, at least. Overcast and cool, with a little wind, but not too bad, and no rain! After warming up with arm-warmers, I actually ditched em in favor of a tank, shorts, calf sleeves and a cap. From years past, this race looked to be deep enough almost every year that I'd have to run beyond what I've showed so far this year to get on "the podium". The two races started together, with the 10k running a second loop. We were off, with a bunch of orange and blue Fleet Feeters and red River City Rebels up front. There was a pack of six, then a little break, then me leading the chase pack. I'd hit mile 1 in just under 5:25 (and would nearly crap myself since I just was hoping to break 5:40). I backed off a little, and conciously let someone (another rebel) pass, as it's never too late to fix a mistake, and the sooner the better. Now I was in 8th, then 7th for the rest of the first loop, but only one runner (the one that passed 6 minutes in) kept going for a second loop. The others were all in the 5k. The lead was double digits, and I was trying not to fade. 17:10 for the first 5k (5:32 pace) after the first fast mile. Still hanging on. It was a struggle, and if there was nobody in front of me, or if he'd been further up (or out of sight) I'd definitely have slowed, but the miles kept ticking away, all in the mid 5:30's. Do I have a shot at breaking 35? Only if I don't let this guy pull away. Surprisingly, I started ever-so-slowly closing the gap after mile 5, but I had no sprint to really go after him (as you can see from the pained expression on my face with 0.1 to go) and though I hate to admit this, in my head I was happy that I'd kept it close and ran faster than I thought I had in me. Of course, later, that last minute or so was replayed a million times differently in my head, after I somewhat forgot how hard I'd worked just to hold on. But that's the way it goes. If I'd known you got $50 in FOOD for winning, maybe there would have been a sprint. Maybe...
Even though we were weaving through walkers from mile 4-6.2, my second loop was just about even with the first (17:15) and my final chip time of 34:25 was only 3 seconds off the leader! Gaaaa!!!!!!! But, like I said...5:33 per mile exceeded my goals and hopefully will be a springboard to bigger and brighter things. "Only" 1:51 off my 10k pr, but I say only because it had been closer to 3 minutes. Funny enough, the 30-39 age group top 3 was also the overall top 3. A Davis/Sacramento regular Orlando Velasquez was about a minute behind in third, then the 50-somethings took over. My buddy Steve was in the top 20 overall and 8th! in the 50-59 group. Don't you guys know you're supposed to slow down after 40?
Speaking of over 40, Dave finished the 5k in 25:33, the fastest since we've been racing together, and if he fixes the "glitch" he had at mile 2, he'll be under 25 in no time. Hannah was entertained for a couple hours in the bouncehouse(s) and as usual, Rich Hanna and Co. put on a good show. Hopefully, this'll be one I get back to, and hopefully, oh, about 1:51 faster...but I'd settle for 4 seconds!
Next up, Run Rocklin in 6 days...

6 comments:

SnowLeopard said...

Wow Chris! I don't think I've seen such a painful look on your face at the finish line! (or any look at all since I've never been around when you finish cause you're half the course ahead if me! ;) Pooing or regretting the one sip of beer you had the night before? J/K. Insider about those 3 seconds- that hurts. But Congrats on the super speedy time you still earned! :)

HiAltDawg said...

glitch=scared coward; I ain't backin' off next time.

my verification word: witsurot.

"Wow, the Indian Wells attempt at a wit ended up tasting like witsurot."

robert warner said...

3 seconds, arrrrgh! Congrats on a nice run.

Reminds me of the 2010 Austin Hot to Trot 5K, where with chip timing I tied a guy down to the 100th of a second for 1st in AG. They gave 1st to him because he had less differential in gun time vs chip time and he was older. Old bastard deserved it...I guess

Gretchen said...

Stepping up to the 10K! Nice call and fast times. Congrats! I bet if the prize had been $50 in beer you would have smoked him! ;)

slowrunner77 said...

Depends on the beer. For $50 in Chelada, I'd not only have let him win, but pants me right before the finish for the whole world to see.
On the plus side, last week was also my highest mileage week of 2011 (67) and gave me 244 for the last 4 for my best month-long stretch. This week has been tough so far, but I'm getting it done...11 miles today, 1/2 of it in segments at 5k race pace.

Vitalzym said...

WoW !! chris its a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing