Saturday, April 23, 2011

Safe and Healthy Homes 5k

I'll keep this one short. It was rather wet & anti-climactic, but the good news is I'll be able to try out the Nike Free 3.0's without having to go into male prostitution. Phew!
I'm not sure what to think about today. Free shoes and a win go a long way, but missing your goal time by 38-48 seconds, in a 5k, not so great. I know. Boo-hoo, right? I won't think of this again as long as I get back on track (soon), but I'm trying to get back under 16 minutes, not struggle to break 17.
Today's course, which is a pretty fast one, and clearly marked, along the Truckee River, is one I've run before (a 16:29 in September of 2008). Since I'd posted a 16:22 and a 16:30 in my last two 5ks (both in the last three weeks) and I had a great time trial a weekandahalfago, I thought hitting 16:09 was possible, and definitely expected to be under those other two times, which were on slightly harder courses. I don't know what it was today, but the speed was just never there. I was quite surprised when I was already 8-9 seconds off 1k in, and after that, nothing really changed. I stayed pretty even, adding 8 seconds or so to my goal time with each passing kilometer. I'd be hoping to run a flat 10k at this pace the next time out, so hopefully this is just a little hick-up in the grand scheme of things. The knee is still bothersome, but really didn't seem to effect today's race. I may be fighting off the family cold, as I've been coughing all afternoon, but the warm-up (and the previous week of training) felt good. Maybe running on a Saturday (and therefore not backing off quite as much the day before as usual) threw me off, but I do harder workouts the day before my time trials, and don't seem to be effected. Bottom line - I don't know why I ran slower. I'm glad I was lucky enough to eek out a win (though it looks like finish times may be all over the place - mine really was 16:57), and I'll go hard Wednesday and try to figure things out.
Hopefully, my 2008 time will fall next week at the Spring Run 10k

. Three years ago I ran 16:59(900 feet downhill) and 18:51 (back up plus 25-30 yards) to post a 35:50. I'd like to beat that time. I think I'm a little faster than I was then, but not as good of a climber, so it should be interesting. Til then...

4 comments:

Turi said...

What was that? Was that a sigh of dismay from the female population upon reading about your career choice?

slowrunner77 said...

yeah, I'm sure they're devastated!

slowrunner77 said...

slower times kinda carrying over to this week - hope that changes soon! about 10 seconds per mile off, not sure why.

abby said...

You changed your dinner the night before:)