Saturday, July 2, 2011

At the half way point...

I decided, since I'm running in July for the first time since 2007, to do a 26 week update at the half way point of 2011. It's been an interesting year, training-wise. After things seemed to be coming along, I got sick at the very end of 2010 and took a loooong time to recover. I wasn't really running decent times til March, but even then, after a couple, my times went back up for a while. By mid-May, I was getting back to respectable, and now am on a mission to get back under 16 minutes on a road 5k (and/or 27 in an 8k, 33:30 in a 10k...).
I've been racing lots of short races, and after 26 weeks, have raced 16* times, winning 8 with 2 course records (one thanks to Cap'n Kirk), and getting 2nd place 8 times (the Oakland race I was leading by over a mile before being sent the wrong way is not counted as a race). All 2nds, and wins for that matter, are not created equal. There's a few where I was out of the race from the gun, and others where I had to stay strong through the tape and run a good time to not finish lower. My legs are holding up (by my jacked up standards anyway), and as long as the lung/throat/head issues don't linger too long, there is the potential for this to be my best fall yet.
My training goals for the year are 60 miles and 100 sets of weights per week. I started the year in the 40's, and though I've hit a couple bumps in the road as of late, I've had a few 70+ mile weeks as well. Six months in, I'm at 1515 miles (58.2 per week) and 2820 sets (108.4). The plan is to try and run 60+ on race weeks & 70+ on non-race weeks, and to have a mini taper every 6-8 weeks, and a larger taper every 12-16.
Off the top of my head, my favorite race so far this year has gotta be Steep Ravine (Coastal Trail Runs). Though I gott my a*@ handed to me on the first climb, the course was simply amazing! Specific race goals for the fall are a fast time at the Bizz Johnson Express Half, a personal best in the Run Through the Colors 10k (34:21), a sub 34 at the Tahoe 10k, and whatever other times and races come with that.
July, I've missed you...
I'll leave you with the awesome sign at the log cabin in King's Beach:

2 comments:

wife said...

August misses you too.....keep it up!

SnowLeopard said...

I'm glad to hear that your doing so well! Hope the lungs clear all the way up soon~