Thursday, June 27, 2013

Superhero 5k

Since it was nearly two weeks ago, guess I'll do a quick recap of race #3 in the "Unleash The Gimp" comeback. The fam was dressed as a squad of superheroes for this one, as a majority (but not all) of the 3,000 others were. Myself (with help from Rocco's wardrobe) as Captain America, Rocco as Iron Man, and Abby and Hannah as Superwoman & Supergirl. The race went well for both of us. Though the mens field was deeper than I'd have imagined, I managed to place 6th with a time of 17:08. I fell off a little each mile, but never got passed, so it must not have been too bad, right? Right? But I definitely didn't have a kick to go after anyone in front of me, either. I unknowingly finished as the first costumed runner, so that's a plus :) Abby was the 15th female, and in the top 100 overall, with a time of 23:35 (a PR even in her suit, which has since been crushed).
Rocco got to meet Iron Man (the really really real one) and as usual, Capital Road Race put on a good show, with a nice, accurate course (an out and back and two loops around the Capital was pretty cool). *Abby has since run 23:01, placing 6th last week at the Reno 5000. I'm hoping to be under 17 on my next 5k, but the next one's not for a month...& won't be flat. Next up - Run To Squaw (7.9 miles) in three days...

1 comment:

Turi Becker said...

Seriously awesome costumes. Wish you had a pic with the whole family in there -